pages

About Me      Guilty Pleasures      Disclaimer      Contact

Saturday, 19 May 2012

stylist trend on trial, trialled: classic smokey eye with a catwalk update



This week's Trend on Trial was so far away from my comfort zone, I couldn't even see my comfort zone anymore.  Don't get me wrong, I love a flick of black eyeliner across the top lid, that's my signature look, but a double eyeliner flick, one on the top AND on the bottom? 

I almost uttered the words in a childlike sulk 'I'm not doing trends on trial anymore', but I didn't, how hard could this be?  I followed Joanna's suggestion and used a gel eyeliner, carefully applying a think line across my top lid, and then a parallel line along the bottom, cotton bud in hand to correct any mistakes (there were a lot!) and I finally breathed out, I'd done it! Then I realised I had to do both eyes, thankfully the secret to this look is that it is not supposed to be perfect, in fact, the word 'imperfect' is even used in Joanna's feature!! So I did a little bit of smudging, a bit of tidying up and a final sweep to extend both the lines out and I'm done, the classic smokey eye with a catwalk update!
So, what did I think of it? Well, the Marios Schwab models made it look stunning...but they're models, and Joanna looks rock chick chic with an edge of sophistication, me? I think I just look a little bit silly.  I'm just not cool enough for eyes this bold! Edie Sedgwick is one of my all time fashion idols, she would make this look good, give me her wardrobe and her personality and I might just be able to pull it off.  

Although, yes, there is an although, looking at the pictures, I don't hate it, it does look kinda cool, and teamed with the right outfit, for the right occasion (ok, a 60s fancy dress party!) I think I might just be prepared to leave the house with it.  But put it this way, I'm not going to be rocking into work on Monday morning with this one!



What do you think? Are you brave enough to go bold?

all about the girl 
xx

P.S. Yes, I am rocking two different hairstyles in these photos, I was clutching at straws...anything to try and make this look work!!

11 comments :

  1. i love it and i think you did a great job replicating it! funnily enough i have been doing this with my own makeup lately, without even being aware of this particular catwalk makeup look. i do it with a quite subtle softer dark brown color on the bottom though. it tends to really open up the eye i think.

    xx rae

    pop by if you have a moment, love!

    http://www.loveforschoolgirl.net/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you, I'd love to see your version of it, that's a bit more subtle, I couldn't face leaving the house with it on, although I don't actually mind the pictures so much! And I will definitely check out your blog xx

      Delete
  2. U got the style, so u could def pull it off:) I think its your blonde hair and bangs that makes it cool. U give me that 60´s vibe :)
    Me on the other hand, not so much. My eyes are way too big in the first place, I guess I would be all alien-looking :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks for your comment, you should try it out! I'd love to have that 60s vibe, but just don't think I've got quite the confidence! xx

      Delete
  3. You know what, if i didnt know this was a trend test, i would be looking at your pic and thinking, wow her eyes look beautiful!! You COMPLEEEETELY should wear your eyeliner like that next time you go out with the girls or to something fancy pants, you could pull it off no problem.

    But it is true about comfort zones. I have just decided to grow out my fringe (after having a full heavy fringe since…well always). Its been four days….and i don't think i like it. I don't feel like me! I was this close to going back into hairdressers and asking them to cut my full heavy fringe back in!! I think i am going to do a post on it…lol.

    Def brave the double eyeliner…i am lucky if i can get the top of one eye half decent…

    Sal xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you for this comment, I like the idea of trying to wear it out but I just don't think I could, I'd feel really self conscious!

      You should keep the fringe, fringes rock :) Plus then we'd be like a double carlisle blogging duo! xx

      Delete
  4. Nice!
    PS: Does you already participated in the giveaway on my blog: http://www.beautybloglaura.com/2012/05/winactie-2-goodiebags-van-elf.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know if I would be brave enough, or even have a steady enough hand to manage this look, but it looks great on you. Reminds me of Twiggy's eyes back in the day :D

    OutsideBeautyInsideHealth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved Twiggy's look, so it's great that you think that :) thanks xx

      Delete
  6. I think you pull the look off pretty well actually!

    Lovely blog, stop by mine if you like

    www.alondongal.blogspot.com

    Chloe x

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day :) So please away xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...