pages

About Me      Guilty Pleasures      Disclaimer      Contact

Monday, 31 March 2014

taking time to appreciate - 1


In the past few months, I've found myself reading more and more lifestyle blogs and less and less of the usual fashion and beauty blogs I used to lose hours on.  Don't get me wrong, I still love a good outfit post, and every week I seem to be emptying my purse in Boots due to a beauty bloggers rave review, but lifestyle blogs have got me hooked!

Two in particular deserve a little credit.  The first is Sallytangle, in fact, I've mentioned her blog so many times on this space that I may as well dedicate a whole page to her.  The second is Cider with Rosie.  Both of these ladies seem to take much more time to admire every day life than I do.  Sally regularly has me dreaming about exciting porridge toppings, and suddenly noticing an impressively bright blue sky.  And Rosie makes me want to take the time to set up beautifully styled photographs, and while away hours just enjoying the simple things on Pinterest.

But one thing both of these lovely ladies do is appreciate, and feeling inspired by Rosie's '10 things that've made me happy this week' posts, and Sally's 'Wonderful Wednesday's', I've decided to take a leaf out of their books, and spend a little more time to notice things around me I usually take for granted.  
So here we go, starting this week...

1. Flowers - I've never been the type of girl who loves receiving a bouquet of flowers, but after the boy returned home a couple of week's ago with a surprise bunch, I've really started to enjoy them.  Our living room looks much more inviting and homely with a vase filled with bright blooms on the fireplace.  And since then, the vase has never been empty.  My favourites so far have definitely been the yellow and white chrysanthemums,  and there's just something about yellow flowers I love.  They certainly brighten a dull day.

2. Baking - I've well and truly discovered my inner Mary Berry.  You may have noticed by the regular recipe posts that have been appearing on this little space of late. I've always enjoyed baking, but recently, I've been making it a priority.  I love to hear what people think of my latest delight, and it's always nice to know there's some home baked treats in the pantry.  It's not so good for the healthy living I'm trying to implement though.

3. Nieces (and nephews) - I had to take a day off work last week to help look after my 15 month old niece.  She's at the age where she can really make me laugh, and I just love to spend time with her.  Plus now that she's learnt to say my name, makes me feel super special.  I have two nieces, and a new nephew (he only arrived three weeks ago, so I haven't had much time to enjoy him properly yet) but being an aunty is just such a lovely gift. 

4.  The boy - our lives seem to be so chaotic these days that although we do see a lot of each other, we don't seem to spend our days the way we used too.  When we lived in London, our Saturday's would regularly involve a wander round the park, a drink in the pub, and a quick dash round Tesco to buy ingredients for an exciting meal that night.  Nowadays, we spend less time on the tube, but since owning our own home, having family just around the corner, and the convenience of a car, weekends doing nothing have become a thing of the past.  It's the reason we moved home, and we love it.  But I definitely look forward more and more to the time we get to spend together just doing 'nothing', and prioritising time just for us.

I'd like to make this post a more regular feature on this blog, and so if you follow me on Instagram, Twitter or Pinterest, there's a high likelihood you'll be seeing more pictures of flowers, food (that's not surprising!) and you never know, sooner or later, I may be taking time out to take a quick snap of the sky.

3 comments :

  1. What a lovely post :) it's so nice to stop and appreciate the little things in life. Time passes so quickly that I think I don't have the time to actually stop and realise how lucky I am. I'm still very split between lifestyle and beauty blogs but after browsing the 2 blogs you've mentioned, I'm definitely converted.

    Paula ♥ | http://www.la-vida-fresa.com xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree! I got into blogging because of my love if fashion blogs but my favourites are lifestyle blogs and now I'm blogging about similar things it makes me love my blog even more! Sally and Rosie's blogs are two of my absolute faves as well! Isn't Sally's photo style dreamy?

    Jenni x
    Bows Bangles & Bakes

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I've been wondering about where my blog is going lately as I've been finding myself less and less drawn to the "trends" which everyone and their dog seems to be posting about lately. Sometimes I wonder about lifestyle posts, but there are some areas of my life which I like to keep off-limits on the blog, so mine has been more about sewing and stuff than fashion and outfits I guess. I'm not sure if that's good or not, but things change and I guess my blog has to move with the way I change. I always think it's important that a blog is a reflection of the writer.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day :) So please away xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...