pages

About Me      Guilty Pleasures      Disclaimer      Contact

Friday, 16 May 2014

mint chocolate cupcakes

These cupcakes were a bit of an experiment.  The original recipe was one of good ol' Nigella's, but thanks to a poorly stocked local shop, I had to make do without the peppermint essence and I substituted it for mint chocolate, it worked...in a fashion.

If you want the official recipe, then you can find it here, but if you want to give mine a go, then read on!

Ingredients

CUPCAKES
225g self-raising flour
4 tbsps cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
225g caster sugar
225g unsalted butter
4 eggs
2 packets of After Eights
70g plain chocolate
A packet of Aero Bubbles

ICING
115g unsalted butter
225g icing sugar
Chocolate to decorate
As you can see...these cupcakes are super healthy!

Method
1. Preheat over to 160C.  Place 18 paper cases into muffin tins.

2. In a bowl sieve flour, baking powder and cocoa.

3. Beat butter and sugar together in another bowl.  Add eggs one at a time and beat together.  Add flour mixture gradually.

4. Melt plain chocolate, approx. 4 After Eights and 4 Aero bubbles (I just guessed these numbers).

5.  Spoon half the mixture into cases and add an after eight into the centre.
 6.  Then add the remaining mixture.  Bake for 25 minutes.
7.  To make the icing, beat icing sugar and butter in a bowl, and add just enough food colouring to make the icing mint green.

8.  Ice the cooled cupcakes and decorate with your choice of chocolate.  (I added Aero bubbles as I'd bought a packet for the mixture).

So, I added the After Eights to the centre of the cupcake, hoping that when you bit into it, you'd have a delicious, gooey minty centre.  That didn't go quite to plan, the chocolates remained whole and went kind of chewy.  I wasn't too convinced, but everyone I gave them too said they liked the chewy centre.
What I can say though, is the actual cupcake texture was perfect, probably the best cupcakes I've made, so now I really want to give them another go..without the after eight surprise in the middle.

Do you think you'll be giving these a go? If you do, please let me know how they go, and what you think of the chewy centre.

1 comment :

  1. Oh, I want to bake after reading this - love mint chocolate.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day :) So please away xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...