pages

About Me      Guilty Pleasures      Disclaimer      Contact

Wednesday, 6 April 2016

the challenge: a 'healthy' weekend away

Edinburgh food and drink
 Last weekend, me and the Mr headed up to Edinburgh for the weekend, we’d been bought tickets to see the Rocky Horror Show (amazing by the way) for Christmas and so we booked ourselves into a fancy hotel, and enjoyed our 26 hours in the city. 

We had a free night’s hotel to use through hotels.com and so treated ourselves to somewhere a little posher than where we’d usually stay, let’s just say I could definitely get used to staying in places like this.  It was the Sheraton Hotel and Spa and it was definitely the rooftop swimming pool that appealed, and, I’m almost ashamed to say it, but the look of their super gym also added to that.  Given that I'm the girl who used to actively avoid exercise (talk about an oxymoron…!), it’s incredible to think that I now book hotels with gyms, what has happened to me?
Anyway, I digress.  As I'm on such an intense training plan at the moment, I didn’t want to have a weekend of complete gluttony without managing to squeeze in a workout to override a little of all the calories I’d be consuming.  Usually when me and the Mr go away for a weekend, we spend the Saturday with me dragging him round the shops, and then spend the rest of the time eating (we have an exciting relationship!).  This time was different, we spent  over an hour in the gym, which was my first real time doing a proper gym workout.  Despite not having a clue what I was doing, I actually rather enjoyed it.  20 minutes on the treadmill, followed by some leg work, arm work and abs.  I even did some kettle-bell work which was based purely on short videos I've seen on Instagram, maybe it’s time to think about getting a personal trainer?!
Gym pics(Check out the exhaustion in pic number 2!)
 We then chilled out in the spa for the rest of the afternoon, the perfect way to ease my aching legs.  While the Mr insists he doesn't really enjoy spa’s and doesn't let me ever book us in for one, it’s the only time I ever see him fully chilled out, so it was nice to do nothing for a few hours? Our little spa session was followed by super healthy smoothies, before heading out to the dinner and theatre.
I usually try and avoid eating in chain restaurants when I'm away as I always think it’s nice to try out the local places, but we decided to head to Zizzi as needed somewhere quick, plus it’s where we had our first date so holds good memories.  I devoured garlic pizza with mozzarella, calamari followed by rustica pizza pollo rosso and I'm not lying when I say devoured, hangry was in full force so photos were never going to happen!  Several glasses of wine and a large bag of chocolates and sweets ended the evening.  When I cheat, I really cheat!
 The next morning there was a pretty epic breakfast on offer, and with good intentions of getting back on the health wagon I started a rather polite portion of fruit, but then I spotted the waffles, and the muffins and all of the deliciousness that is a cooked breakfast (the Scots know how to do breakfast) so I made the most of it, and this three course meal happened, and it was well worth it, that waffle with bacon, eggs and maple syrup was a dream…I'm still thinking about it now.
An epic breakfast
A few hours of shopping, and we hopped on the train home, so thank you Edinburgh for having us, it was just the weekend I needed!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Comments make my day :) So please away xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...