pages

About Me      Guilty Pleasures      Disclaimer      Contact

Wednesday, 20 April 2016

the challenge: week 16 - an update


Well here we are 4 months on and I'm pleased to say I'm still going pretty strong in terms of my training.  

Unfortunately, I can't say the same for my dad, we've had a tough week and my dad has been really poorly.  He's been in a lot of pain and spent the majority of the last few days in bed.  My dad's diagnosis of pancreatic cancer last May is the hardest thing I've ever had to deal with.  As I imagine with most families, my dad is the head of our little clan, the one we all look up to, the one who makes all the decisions, the one who helps lead us down the right path, and bails us out when we need it.  My dad has always been a very upbeat, happy and full of energy kind of guy, so seeing him stuck in bed, in almost unbearable pain is heartbreaking.  It makes you feel completely helpless and it's so frustrating knowing there is so little you can do.

Pancreatic cancer is one of the worst, my dad's is terminal and inoperable, we don't know how long he has left and I really don't want to know.  But it is this which is really giving me the drive and determination to carry on and see this challenge through.  I've already raised a lot of money from family and friends and that's what we need to help the research to maybe one day find a cure for this horrible disease.  While I know it will almost certainly be too late for my dad, hopefully it will help thousands of others.

I didn't really mean this blog post to be so bleak, but it's been a tough week and I haven't really managed to do as much exercise as I would usually like.  I also had a totally indulgent weekend so getting back into my healthy routine has been tough.

What I am learning though is that life is short, it's too short to beat yourself up over too many doughnut or glasses of wine, or because you didn't do as much exercise as you would have liked.  But on the other hand, it's made me realise how delicate the body is, so keeping it healthy and being fit is only going to be beneficial in life.  My dad was an incredibly fit and healthy man, and he still got hit with this (life is so unfair) but I like to think it has helped him make it this long, and it was certainly the kick up the arse I needed to get moving.  For the first 29 years of my life I was complete couch potato, I avoided exercise at all costs and I was pretty much a yo-yo dieter, I feel so much better in myself since getting fitter and I would encourage anyone reading this to do the same, even if it just means walking more than you do now, it can only help.

On the brightside, the doctors have upped my dad's morphine and changed his medication a bit and he's doing a little better, and for now that's all that matters unlike the pathetic 3k run I barely managed tonight...it's true, I just gave up and walked home, how I ran 10k last Saturday is a mystery to me!

And while not wanting to sound like a broken record, if you would like to help me then any little sponsorship you can make would be so so appreciated, and I really would be very grateful.  

www.justgiving.com/carolinekelsey

Every penny will hopefully help me get my ass over those 10ft walls...wish me luck!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Comments make my day :) So please away xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...